Sunday 28 October 2012

Webskills Course - Week Four Reflections

Introduction

How fast time flies and nobody has any control over that! However, one can always think of ways in which how the time is spent. Guess the weekly reflection is an endeavour in that direction too.


What I did and learned

This weeks Webskills course focused on Reading and Writing using technology. Like always there were four different assignments to do. There were couple of readings to do too.

Out of the readings I liked Three Extensive Reading Activities for ESL/EFL Students Using E-books by Ling. As part of the Nicenet discussion I posted how I'll make use of ideas mentioned in this article to develop a lesson of my own.

Then there was a distinct strand on corpora. I don't make use of corpus much in my teaching and was surprised to see so much of enthusiasm from my classmates on how to integrate this into language teaching, especially vocabulary teaching. My curiosity to know more about corpus took me to a post on Onestopenglish website titled Introduction to corpora.

The second task was to come up with a technology enhanced lesson plan. I took a while to do this. I went through couple of my classmates' lesson plans before garnering the confidence to do one of my own. I thought of using technology and the internet to raise learners' awareness on current affairs and in the process work on their language and study skills. Learners of our era are fortunate to have access to a variety of resources - print as well as digital - around to enhance their learning. Sadly, many students don't make use of this either because they don't know about them or don't know how to make use of them. Classrooms in such contexts can introduce the resources as well as show learners how to make use of these resources.

My lesson plan which is open for comments can be accessed by clicking here.

There's a final project task that is left now and I know there's a step that I'm lagging behind and can now sense how that has to be taken care in order to do this.

Apart from all these I learned how to spice up my blog by adding blog roll (that can be seen on the right side) which in a way will help me to keep a track of the latest posts from my classmates.

Classroom application

The sites that I got exposed to in this week can in deed help me in integrating technology in the classroom. I knew technology or the internet is just a tool in my hands to enhance learning experience of my students and nothing more.

9 comments:

  1. Hello Cherry,

    You have summed up the learnings of the week very nicely and in a precise way. Introduction to the corpora was indeed a nice learning.

    I also went through your lesson plan which is nicely done and in fact it addresses one basic issue here in India, the issue of Proficiency in English.

    It was nice interacting with you this week on the discussion forum as well.

    Keep Sharing

    Best wishes,

    Ashish Pande

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashish

      Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments on my post. I too had enjoyed interacting with you as part of the course and your enthusiasm inspires people like me.

      Keep inspiring.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete
  2. Hi, Cherry!

    I share the same feeling! It was also lagging behind my technology enhanced lesson plan! I also checked some classmates' ones before doing mine since I wasn't sure of the content of it. However, I think I finally managed it with the help of everyone!

    It's been great to read everybody's comment on each assignment.

    See you next week on any of our course tasks!

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Mary

      It's good to learn that there are more people in the same boat. When stuck it really helps to have a good look around and then be inspired. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

      Regards to you too!

      Delete
  3. Hello Cherry,

    Your blog is great. I love the comprehensiveness.

    I also like the blog roll to the right. Would you please instruct me how to insert it? Thank you in advance.

    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jasmina

      Your name pops up almost everywhere in the Nicenet and thanks for being so active - that raises the bar for others too.

      I found how to add blog roll through this post:

      How to Add Blogroll to Blogger Blog.

      Cherry.

      Delete
    2. Hi Cherry,

      Thank you for the praise. I just hope that I will not turn into the class nerd; however, I can't help it. I love to play with all the things we are learning here.

      Thank you very much for the Blogging Tricks! This new toy will spice up our blogs considerably!

      Please, keep sharing,
      Jasmina

      Delete
  4. Hi Cherry,

    Your blog is wonderful. Every time I find some new details that enrich it. I likes the idea of having all our blogs on the front page. I would be delighted to have your instructions too.

    Ina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ina for visiting and making my day.

      You can learn about how to add blog roll here:

      How to Add Blogroll to Blogger Blog.

      'See you' soon.

      Delete