Tuesday 6 November 2012

Webskills Course - Week Five Reflections

Introduction

Week Five too is over and voices were heard from all around about how the course is taking its toll on the relations in the real world.

If you didn't understand what I mean then watch this short film made by my virtual classroom mate - Rustam - by clicking here.

(My attempts to embed the video didn't work - can anybody help?).

However, nothing is going to dampen the spirits of the participants as most of us, though complained about how the course is slowly turning out to be demanding, is, at the same time, making more sense of the whole thing than in the starting.

What I did and learned?

This week focused largely on alternate assessments (AA), rubrics and project-based learning (PBL). The NCLRC article on AA was quite insightful. (You can read about AA by clicking here.)

The RubiStar website that enables anyone in creating a rubrics in a jiffy is another find of the week. A quick reflection on the use of rubrics raised this concern in my mind that at times an extensive rubric can make a teacher's life more difficult than easier. It is in deed good to have extensive rubrics; however, the more extensive it becomes the more difficult the life of the teacher will be in the sense there will be more things to keep in mind while assessing the students.

However, the third item - PBL - for putting learner at its heart won mine too. We were asked to read Susan Gaer's article 'Less Teaching and More Learning'. Through this article I learned about the importance of making PBL immediate, relevant, and meaningful for the learners. Moreover, in order to keep the students interested in the project there needs to be a check on time too where feedback is provided at constant intervals.

Though this is the fifth week of the course I sometimes find the multiple platforms that one has to visit to access the resources as well as post about the progress and thoughts a bit confusing. Now and then I get lost in the maze and have to find my way out.

Also though technology is a handy tool in the hands of a capable teacher the support system that the technology requires in the form of electricity, equipment, etc. can at times fail pulling down the very edifice one wanted to build up. This happened with me today when I was all set to post the weekly blog. Right then the power failure that had been away till last week suddenly made its reappearance.

A nice thing that I chanced upon last week is the accidental discovery that Nicenet and blog can be accessed through the mobile device that I have with me. In a way that relieved my tension of accessing the resources on the move.

Also I opted for summary view in the Nicenet so that I can get a clear picture of who's post and what before deciding to choose and explore one.

Classroom Application 

The immediate application of this week's learning is in the form of PBL. The many misconceptions about it that it's very easy and puts little pressure on the teacher were shattered. However, the final project that aims at finding suitable material that will keep the learners of mixed ability motivated is taking shape and PBL is going to shape it in a big way than before thought of.

Furthermore, now I know the importance of being 'adventurous' and exploring the technology realm so that things that would have been otherwise missed could be found out like the way by which I stumbled upon the fact that I could actually access the ICA and blogger via the mobile device. I'm reminded of the same (i.e. being adventurous helps) turning true for language learning as well.

4 comments:

  1. Cherry,

    I'm glad you brought up summary view in nicenet. I always use this view. If not, you risk getting lost in rereading posts that you have already read. Thanks for mentioning this. I hope more of your colleagues are aware of this as a way to view nicenet.

    I really like the way you have your blog posts organized. You start with a brief introduction with some anecdotal information, then discuss what you have learned, and finally how you can apply it in the classroom. This format is logical and reader friendly. I like how you ended on the note of adventure. Being adventurous has its advantages and those of us who thrive on it, lead exciting lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney for the observations. It is in deed true that we all find our way as we go along no matter how many times we've been explicitly told or shown how to do things.

      Continue your tryst with the exciting life!

      Many thanks.

      Delete
  2. Dear Cherry

    You may have not been so much able to integrate teaching into TELL, but certainly you have excelled in collaborating with all of us with your learning capacity and your performance-oriented skills. I have learnt from you to choose the template or layout of my Blog, then I have tried to to connect through my blog-page yours' blog. These are the wonders for an upstart who interacts with web for first time as a learner cum tutor.

    Indeed in my first reflection I told that I was assisted in starting my blog, but now I have understood to play with my blog facilities, it is enormously one of the argumentative page to exchange and to disseminate.

    After first week I did not turn back, then in the second week again I got stuck with delicious.com. I did not know I had to open the account there and use it as a catalogue or bookmarklet of my searches and other class fellows' searches of web-resources.

    The by the end of third week familiarity with anything lets you to take advantage. And I started inserting YouTube's videos and other web-images directly in my blog's posts.That was the first wonder and feat of mine without the help of anyone.

    When you write a new posts, there is a choice to write in html or in compose form. If you choose compose format, you will get icons of Link, Insert a video or images. There are two ways to upload, either first you download on your desktop or in document, and then upload it.

    I generally directly get through You Tube my uploads, except images/pictures sometimes.

    Dear Cherry I am really enjoying this course.Iam proud to be in this class with such versatile and phenomenal friends.

    With Best Wishes
    Jayshree Singh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a wonderful journey you've taken up so far Ms Jayshree Singh and I'm glad that you're enjoying every bit of it and that too moving in a fast track. You could be a model for many other teachers - young as well as old - who have a mental Himalaya to get over before they can actually use technology in the class or for their professional development.

      I hope you can record your progress and come up with a paper someday and inspire more number of teachers.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete