Sunday 21 October 2012

Webskills Course - Week Three Reflections

Introduction

What a learning week this had been especially for the online learner in me!

Week two had been lull for various reasons - personal largely - the proof of which is the missing blog post (this does not mean that I didn't do anything or learned anything that week; but that is yet to be reflected and recorded). I was drifting away I know and somehow I couldn't do anything about that feeling. However, through the timely intervention of my course tutor Courtney I believe I am a better online learner now. As the course is unfolding I can sense the learning curve getting slightly steeper (may be this is purely subjective) and know for sure that unless one has a plan and that too a solid s/he cannot survive.

What I did and learned

It took me a while to understand that the weekly course requirements have four distinct strands. These are namely:

  1. I've to participate twice in a weekly discussion. 
  2. Do a weekly task and post reflections on that. 
  3. Update on a step of the final project. 
  4. Finally update the blog. 
The four seems simple on paper (blog here); but for a learner like me who wanted to do all in one go they posed a big challenge and made me run away and hide. However, through a series of mails with Courtney I think I know better the nature of the beast I'm dealing with.

So what's the plan that I'd learned about doing an online course well?

First and foremost never try to do everything in one go.

Break it. Time it. Space it.

All are important. A learner has seven days a week to complete the four items. Even if one decides to do one per day there will be three more days left which when thought that way is a great relief. Also focusing on one task out of the four can help in quality and better assimilation of the concepts.

Second is finding your way around. This is very important since the course may have many links to visit and might be spread out across online topography; but, activities happening in one or two places might only be evaluated. This one has to keep in mind. This does not mean that one shouldn't/needn't visit the other places; but, should make sure that s/he be where the activities count too.

The third thing is to ask for help if you think you need instead of running or drifting away. I luckily had an instructor who was kind enough to get in touch and enquire whether I need help. But this might not be possible all the time in all cases. The learner need to keep this in mind and should be bold enough to reach out to people who could help.

Apart from learning how to be a good online learner I learned about websites for developing aural/oral skills and social bookmarking websites. Through my classmates I came across many useful websites for developing skills and now have a delicious account which you can see by clicking here. In addition I read two articles - one related to teaching listening and the other on teaching pronunciation.

Classroom Application

My own learning experience as an online learner and the way in which Courtney reached out to me will be of use to me when I conduct online learning programmes for my students. The articles on listening and pronunciation provided me opportunities to understand the history, the need and the theory behind the teaching of listening and pronunciation. Furthermore, I now know a handful of sites that can be used for teaching aural/oral skills. Moreover, through the social bookmarking site delicious.com I can now arrange my links in a jiffy and can share them as public or private.

14 comments:

  1. Hello Cherry,

    I really liked the thought about break it. time it. space it.

    I am so sorry to learn that week two was a week of lull for you. It happens to all of us once in a while; but I am sure it would not happen again. I am scared that next week due to the festival of Dussehra here in the North, I might also miss out on most of the assignment. I urge you to check me if God forbid happens to me.

    Just like you, I also used to try do do everything by the end of the week. The result was there was so much to do and there was a lot of stress about it.

    Using delicious.com was a pleasant experience for me as well. I also learned a lot by the experiences of other course mates.

    Some of the links that you put on the discussion forum were also very good. I even borrowed some of your links from your delicious account.

    Keep posting and happy blogging.

    It is a pleasure to have you as a colleague.

    Ashish Pande

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherry.
      It is a very nice and reflective blog.It is good that now you have decided to be an active participant in this course.

      All of us have problems in managing ourselves with the time available after our daily schedule.I am also finding it difficult but I have also decied to give this course a priority over some other works.It requires a lot of dedication and determination to walk that extra mile.

      As you have also pointed out last minute rush can be avoided with better planning.And that exactly is a lesson for us .

      Using delicious.com has certainly helped all of us to organize our web search and the best aspect of it is searching and sharing.Knowledge grows when you share.

      It is a pleasure to interact with you.

      Regards
      Raj

      Delete
    2. Hi Ashish

      What a way you've to tell people you care and value! I appreciate your comments and insights and as I can see you survived the festival week successfully. Feel free to borrow anything that you think might be of use to you or your students. After all we all learn more by sharing.

      Thanks again.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete
    3. Hello Raj

      Thanks for reminding once again how to prioritise things so that time can be given for all that we've to do. Reflecting and cutting on non-essential things are strategies that work for me too.

      Best, Cherry.

      Delete
  2. Hello Cherry,

    I would like to say that I truly admire honest people and you are one of them.

    Reading about your honest reflection reminded me of the fact that we need to pause once a while and realize that we are all just human beings. Limitations are part of our existence but our strength to surpass them is what keeps us surfacing and going.

    I am glad to know you have found the strength and I am looking forward to our collaboration during the course.

    Jasmina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmina

      You're right - we're humans and have all the frailties of being one; but, we fight. Btw, you've wonderful energy levels and I admire you for that. Keep inspiring.

      Cherry

      Delete
  3. Hi Cherry,

    Greetings. Your message is the mirror of your true self . Firstly, I felt the same and started doing things in quick time without much worries. I learnt it from the second week on wards how to tame the beast that is a single task accomplishment at a time would help us plan better.

    I appreciate the method of identifying time to mend the wall. Your message is really interesting and makes me think like a hooded-horse which goes a long way with proper focus. Though the diversified ideas may scatter (accessing several web links)us, we must believe that this road will lead us to the right direction.

    I am very happy to have you as my colleague in Web skills course.

    Keep contributing...

    S.Sankarakumar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello S Sankarakumar

      I liked the language that you used to leave a reply - you'd used rich metaphors like 'taming the beast' and 'hooded horse' and like. It in deed helps to pause and reflect and surge forward. Same feelings at my end too to have you as a classmate for the Webskills course.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete
  4. Hi Cherry,

    It's a pleasure to learn that you have completed all your assignments for week three in time. As you have mentioned, I'm confident that you can share the links in delicious.com. It is obvious that you have benefited immensely by reading the two articles on listening and pronunciation and saddled with the knowledge of handling aural skills. Go ahead, good luck!

    Kind regards,
    Disna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Disna for stopping by. The readings always enrich; however, at times the length of the articles scares one away. But we do try to at least have a general idea of what things are and of course there's is always our classmates who now and then summarise what they'd learned. That too helps.
      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete
  5. Hi Cherry,

    Thanks for sharing,I hear you and can only imagine what last week was like for you.

    The thought that usually comes into peoples minds when they think of online learning is that 'It's a walkover'. When it comes down to business thats the time one realizes that there's a lot that one has to put in. What I have come to like about this , is that the challenges make one stronger and the knowlege sticks more. Thanks to our instructor as you have rightly said, she's always ready to assist. I like your advise on planning and step by step approach. Yes,we'll take it one day at a time assignment by assignment.

    All the best

    Rukia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rukia

      You're so very right - even I'd the same thought of doing an online course before I began. All that had changed big time now. Depending on the course sometimes the online version can be more demanding than the face to face one.

      Cherry

      Delete
  6. Hello Cherry

    Coincidently I am in touch with you second time, first through my blog and now posting directly through your blog. It is interesting to know that you have two birds in your bush - one you are from EFLU, Hyderabad and second you are pursuing Ph.D. in the subject that would add feather in your cap, when you will be completing this "Building Teaching Skills through Interactive Web". Your Web instructor Ms. Courtney and the Ph.D. guide would be able to leverage available abilities of yours to extract from you the best as language research scholar. Keep up your motivation level just like a bull's-eye!

    With good luck
    Dr. Jayshree Singh

    12 October 2012 02:28

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr Jayshree Singh

      Thanks for leaving all those motivating words behind. As I can see you are one of those active participants in our course who are really in a mood to give technology a fight in order to tame and make use of it. Hope things happen for me the way you'd wished.

      Hope to have more - online and real - interactions.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete