Sunday 2 December 2012

Webskills Course - Week Nine Reflections


Introduction

This week was relatively less hectic for me primarily because I made it so. The final projects were due and I must say that the thoughtful breaking down of the projects into steps across the weeks really helped. Also the template that UO had published with lot of scaffolding questions helped to organise thoughts in the right way. The peer review exercise was also very helpful in looking at others as well as own projects in a very objective manner. 

Apart from the the project this week focused on learning styles.

What I did and learned?

I don't think anybody will challenge me if I say 'each one of us are unique'. I think due to this uniqueness we like to learn in ways we want rather than learning or doing things the same way as somebody else does. We might have aped others for a while when we were young; however, when we realised that what worked for somebody else is not working for you then that might have made us to think of our own individuality and the way in which that dictates how we like to learn and do things.

The readings suggested for this week were all useful as always.

I started my reading by visiting Technology and Multiple Intelligences website. This page has a collection of resources for teachers to read and think.

There I first read Howard Gardner's speech 'Multiple Intelligences After Twenty Years' where towards the end he raises his own apprehension over the application of the MI theory to aid language learning. He felt happy that language teachers reported back to him that the theory worked for them and their students. However, he was yet to buy that argument and I too was put under his influence and wondered what could be done that caters to the different intelligences that are there in our classrooms with a view to help them learn a language too.

As soon as I logged on to the nicenet classroom and read Ashish's post on how to use technology to cater to various intelligences and at the same not losing focus on the language learning side of it this apprehension was put to rest.

In case you are now tempted to have a look at something similar to what Ashish had posted, click here.

Going through the diverse posts that my classmates had generated I felt very happy. I was tempted to test my learning style online and bought Courtney's suggestion. I took Edutopia's Online Quiz which you too can try here.

My own results can be found here.

Classroom Application

Learning styles is something that I'd been introduced already. However, this week's readings refreshed my memory and most importantly showed me ways to use technology to support various learning styles.

My future plan

This is an interesting strand for this week's blog. Over the course of nine weeks I'd been introduced to innumerable resources which I'm yet to explore fully. So that's high up on agenda. Another thing is to try my level best to be in touch with the wonderful educators I'd the fortune to study along. Whatever I'd learned in this course happened out of collective effort and I know my classmates will continue to discover new things and will never be reluctant to share that online. This course had opened up many vistas like the concept of writing good objective, using templates and rubrics, supporting learners, building learning communities etc. to name just a few that I'd love to revisit again.


8 comments:

  1. Hi, Cherry.

    I took a look at the results of the test you took, and I was suprised to see how balanced you are. You got such high scores on everything that it is hard to categorize you as one type of learner vs. another. I think that is an excellent quality, and it shows that you can adjust to any situation.

    It has been a pleasure working with you in this course. I hope that you found the work stimulating enough that you will continue to autonomously learn even when the class finishes!

    Good luck!
    Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Evelyn for the kind words.

    I don't know how many interactions we'd online; but your name always stood out. So does your profile picture and you know what?

    All the while I thought you're posing as a cheer leader. But today realised you're with a tiger and children!

    Loved your thoughts and input and do keep connected.

    Good luck to you too.

    Cherry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherry,

    Thanks for putting up the link to the MI test. It reminded me that I still have to do it.

    Going through this week's reading material not only made us focus on how we perceive our students, but also realize how we learn. Since how we learn effects how we see others, thus our teaching, I think awareness of both perspectives (learner and teacher) is key in reaching the best outcome in our classes.

    Thanks for your clear reflection. Good luck with your studies.
    I enjoyed your presence in this course.

    All the best!

    Mireille

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mireille for dropping in and sharing your thoughts.

      You're right when you say that we need to think of how we learn in order to think of how we teach. This course and the time we'd together had clearly opened up those perspectives well.

      Thanks for your well wishes. Best of luck to you too and do keep 'seeing' online.

      Best, Cherry.

      Delete
  4. Hello Cherry,

    I think the approach you adopted this week of making things less hectic can be adopted by all of us under 'time management' especially by most of the teachers like me who face this challenge of devoting time between the schedule of teaching-learning and research activities becomes a bit hectic.

    Yes, I agree that nobody can challenge you when you say that each one of us is unique.

    Just like Evelyn, I was also amazed to see the balanced results of your test. My test, on the other hand was very disappointing. :(

    Looking forward to sharing new ideas in the coming week.

    Best wishes,

    Ashish Pande.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ashish

      Always a pleasure interacting with you. When it comes to time management I sometimes find myself overwhelmed with lot of things and think what to cut on. I know there are lot many resources and articles that I need to have a look at from our course.

      Though the course ends this week I hope we could continue your interaction online and offline.

      Regards, Cherry.

      Delete
  5. Hi, Cherry!

    I agree with you! This week also helped me to refresh my knowledge on "learning styles". Many times, our own teaching experience make us react in a precise way without knowing why. It is like that internal voice that tells you to use or not certain content aspect, exercise in the classroom. The same happens to me with the exercises for reinforcing learning styles. I have been using them integratively without knowing Gardner's suggestion on that.

    Regards, Cherry!


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary!

      What a loud reflection that you'd made which I hope other teachers could also hear and do. You're right when you said that sometimes we do things without thinking why we should do so. Courses like this are the pit stops where we can rest, relax, and reflect and surge ahead.

      'See you' online once the course ends.

      Best, Cherry.

      Delete